• How does the “Presumption of Innocence” apply in the Film Industry?

Posted by Amy on at

In the past days, I have been wondering how does the Presumption of Innocence apply in the Film Industry.

“The presumption of innocence is a legal principle that every person accused of any crime is considered innocent until proven guilty.”

The practical example that I have in my mind is the Amber Heard and Johnny Depp trial, which has greatly affected Johnny Depp’s career even before he was proven guilty in court. Even though he lost many acting roles because of his ex-wife’s accusations, on Wednesday, he won the trial in court.

Considering this practical example, is it fair that everyone decided he is guilty, even before the court took a decision? Is it fair that he lost all those acting roles, even before he got a chance to prove his innocence in court? Is it even legal?

At the end of the day, any of us could be accused and sued by anyone for anything. Would that mean that our career would immediately end just because someone has a problem with us? Or we would get a chance to prove our innocence first, in trial and be judged by the rest of the world only after we have been proven guilty?
    How does the “Presumption of Innocence” apply in the Film Industry? I am a bit confused, to be honest.

Alex replied 1 year, 11 months ago 6 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • István

at

I honestly don’t recall having another trial from the US who was watched by the rest of the world. I live in Hungary and all my friends were watching the trial. They don’t even watch trials from our own country.

You are right, on one side, everyone should be given the “Presumption of innocence”. We have this in my country as well. They should be given the chance to prove they are “not guilty”. Society doesn’t have the patience to wait for an outcome because a trial can last for years and if there is some controversy around someone, they would rather get rid of that someone than to wait until the trial is over. There was a lot of controversy and media attention to this trial and I believe that companies cared more about maintaining a good image and marketing, rather than wait and see the truth.

I honestly felt sad that Johnny Depp lost his role in the Harry Potter franchise. I saw the last movie and Grindelwald did no longer have that “something special” that only Johnny could give to the character. He is a very good actor and I hope that now, after proving his innocence, he will still want to play in movies.

• Amy

at

It is a bit sad that society works that way. It could be any of us in his place, really. It scares me that you can lose everything so easy, just because someone doesn’t like you and decides to start a whole war against you.

• Kim

Administrator
    at

Maybe someday there will be measures in place in our society that won’t allow for accusations to have such consequences. I think standing up to accusers as Depp did is certainly the right direction. I agree that it is sad that someone can be accused and be branded by accusation alone. There was a time in Hollywood when being accused of being a communist would ruin your career.

• Lili

at

Hopefully, society will learn a lesson from this example, even though I doubt that will happen. In the public eye, an accusation has more power than the court, which in most cases, makes no sense.

• Maura

at

I closely followed the trial, not because I intended to, but because everyone else around me has been following it and discussing it everywhere: on social media, on youtube, on tik tok, on live streams, in real life. I live in Romania and a trial from USA was extremely popular here, on the other side of the world. Johnny Depp is a very loved actor by many people from all over the world because he gave life to so many characters that we love: Jack Sparrow, Edward Scissorhands, Grindelwald, Mortdecai and the list goes on and on. His talent and the way he brings his characters to life is special.

When the trial began, it was so hard to believe that he was the monster that his ex-wife told the world he is. Everyone was so dissappointed. But when he fought back for his innocence and the truth came to surface, everyone was so upset this injustice happened to a good person and that society allowed this to happen. His ex-wife even lied under oath and I doubt she will receive the legal punishment for this.
    Now that the trial is over and we all know the truth, I hope that he can heal after going not only through an abusive relationship, but also through the experience of having everyone you know turn your back and choose not to believe in you. I hope he can forgive, in his heart, all those who were mean to him all these years and see him bring to life Jack Sparrow in another “Pirates of the Caribbean” movie. 🙂

As for the “Presumption of innocence”, sadly, it never really applied because people love scandal. When you are successful, there are some people who just love to tear you down with every opportunity they have and he was a very popular and successful man. I hope that one day, this will apply to everyone and give them a fair chance to prove their innocence.

• Alex

at

Even though society does not consider the “Presumption of Innocence”, justice has been made in court. It took a few years and a lot of strength to overcome all the negativity that was thrown at him but he did it. I hope that he will not allow his career to end because of this.