What motivates you to keep going?

• Creator
    Discussion

• István
    Participant

I believe many of you have gone through the following process: you are passionate about something (let’s say video editing, screenwriting or even photography). You start looking for resources online to learn more about your new passion. You research the skills you need to develop and the gear that you will need. A video editor needs an expensive video card, that means a good PC. He will also need video editing software, which also costs money. A photographer will need a camera, lens, tripod etc.
    Then, a journey begins: you start saving money to buy what you need to start. You finally start doing what you love and you start earning your first dollars from it.

But then, something happens: you start losing motivation.

The process of losing motivation happens in two scenarios: you either fight too hard to make a living for your dream that you give up or you work too hard for your dream that you lose creativity and motivation.

In the first scenario, time goes by and you still cannot seem to make it. You tried everything and it just doesn’t work. You age and you want to settle down and have a family. In the end, you just give up.

In the second scenario, you manage to make a living from your passion. But it is so tiring and time consuming that you are left with little time for yourself. And even if you are left with a lot of time for yourself, you just get tired of doing the same thing over and over again. You just lose motivation over time.

My question is…what do you do to keep going? What do you do to keep that motivation from day 1, even after 7 years? Or 20 years?

• We live in a society where we constantly see examples of people that make it. We get the feeling that everyone makes it and that it’s easy. The sad reality is that most of us never make it big. This doesn’t mean that you don’t have to continue doing what you love. I like to say that we do things for money and things for our souls. Some call them hobbies. I call it passion.
    Everybody gets demotivated. It is a part of life. Some even discover other things they like to do more and make a change. If you really like something, it would be sad to stop doing it. I honestly do what I like, even if I am the only one knowing or watching it. I am doing it for my soul. If I can make a living out of it, I will do it more often, because I won’t need to spend 8 hours at a job.

When you do get to do what you like but you can only make a living from a niche and you want to experiment more…it can be demotivating after a while. It helps to take a break. Do something else. Try something new. Go somewhere to recharge your batteries.

Each time I get demotivated, I take a few days off. Sleep. Hang out with friends. Maybe go out for a drink. Maybe even a city break. If I can’t do that, I will eat a lot of chocolate and watch a TV show or a movie on Netflix. You can never go wrong with chocolate. 😀

• Yes, there are so many success stories that you feel bad if you don’t make it. And on the other hand, if you make it, you feel guilty for getting demotivated. You feel that you are ungrateful to the fate that has smiled upon you. Thanks for sharing what works for you! I think I need a big jar of chocolate. And party for a day or two. Maybe it helps.

• We are only humans. We are not robots. It is normal to do things to recharge your batteries

• I will be honest with you. I am a hard working person and I tend to get to the point of burnout so many times. In my case, it helps to go away for a few days. I like going abroad with my husband, to another city. Eat the food there, drink a few glasses, go for walks. Then come back home. During the pandemic, I couldn’t do this because of the travelling restrictions. This was a huge demotivating factor for me and it was a hard time to work hard. I would get a nice bottle of wine (at affordable rates) and drink a few glasses. It helped. Then the pandemic ended and now I rarely drink because I can travel once again. This is what works for me.

• The pandemic has affected my motivation level. I felt so blocked from doing what makes me happy and recharge my motivation level.

• I feel you. This is exactly how I felt!

• I will give you the tips that work for me. You have to find the tips that work for you.
    I have two cats. I play with them for hours. I take one of them for a walk outside then come back. I used to have a dog too and I would play with him for hours as well. They really help me recharge my batteries. I couldn’t imagine my life without animals. My husband also has a cute dog. She’s so loving.

If I need a break, I sleep more, watch a TV show or a movie. Or I go for long walks. I also play video games twice a week for a few hours. All these little things help me stay focused and motivated on the long run. And if I get to the point of burnout where I cannot focus on anything, sleeping does wonders. It is important to rest your body and mind.

• One should never underestimate the way an animal can brighten up your day. I am more of a dog person but I like all animals. I remember when I had a dog, how much he would make me forget I had a bad day.

• Long walks are great! I stopped doing them because I couldn’t breathe properly with the mask on. I think I spent too much time away from real humans and it has affected me.

• The same happened to me, for a while. Fortunatelly, things are getting better now and we can finally have our lives back!

• What motivates me? I think of how much film school costs and how hard I will be on myself if I don’t give my 100%. 😂 Then I think that I must do something I like to pay the bills otherwise I will have a job I hate like most people do. Then I watch vloggers on youtube who have good vibes. I also watch other filmmakers try new techniques and post tutorials about them and I end up trying some of them too.

• If it is what you enjoy then all the obstacles are worth overcoming :). You are right making an income doing something you hate doing can become a drag on your life if done for too long and without change. Also I suggest this filmmaker youtuber called camera conspiracies who always cracks me up lmao u might enjoy his vids 👌

• Thank you! I will look him up!

• Thank you, Asher! I just subscribed to his channel. I watched a few videos and it made my day!

• You are welcome my friend! Enjoy!

• Thank you, Julia!