Marvel Recreation Universe Part 3 (Behind the Scenes)

• Dustin

2022-08-05 at 4:14 AM

Marvel Recreation Universe BTS Episode 12: Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2

In this episode, we break down everything it took to bring our Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 Scene Recreation to life.

This episode is very cathartic to me, as this is the 2nd time I perform Star-Lord in our film. Star-Lord is where Mru all began with our Guardians of the Galaxy 1 SR Vfx test, (Filmed in 2018) and to come back as the character in (2020) felt very wholesome.

Interestingly enough, there was a time during Mru where I was not going to reprise the roe of Star-Lord for our Film.

On a Video Call Pitching Mru to a Potential team of actors (for the roles of Thor, Bruce Banner, and Happy) the final negotiation all lead back to one role: Star-Lord.

These actors would join our Film, if one of them was given the opportunity to perform Quill in our Recreations. An offer, I instantly rejected, Star-Lord is where it all started, and the plan was always for me to continue performing Star-Lord for the Guardians Volume 2 SR in our Film.

Later, after some thought, I messaged the leader of this group, and granted the role of Star-Lord to the actor who requested it.

The Actor team joined the Production. And then Production began on the base of Mru. (Iron man 3- Far from home)

On the day to film with these actors, the team suddenly left the Production and did not arrive for principal photography.

As it would turn out, Jake Kaufman was contacted and ultimately given the role of Thor, the Happy role was cut, and I ended up performing Hulk and… received the role of Star-Lord back for our Film.

It was great to step into the shoes of Peter Quill once again, and an honor to perform alongside Brian Barnett’s Ego.

Link:

https://youtu.be/F-TuSj3eP1I

• Julia

2022-08-05 at 5:02 AM

Happy to see you have created a new thread, now it will be so much easier to keep up with all these awesome updates! ❤

• Dustin

2022-08-06 at 4:29 AM

Thank you, Julia!🙂

• Amy

2022-08-05 at 5:13 AM

He acted without seeing a single Marvel movie? I would’ve never have guessed! He did a great job. I think he could be a huge Marvel fan if he decides to watch those movies now that he acted in the recreation of one of them!

• Dustin

2022-08-06 at 4:36 AM

Thank you, Amy! A big thing about the project that interested him, is that he would be reenacting a role of Kurt Russel’s.

I know he has seen some clips of Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 as research for his character.

When we finished filming, he revealed that this Recreation peaked his curiousity about the Marvel films!

• Maura

Organizer
      2022-08-05 at 5:15 AM

I think I will try the “eyes effect” sometime because it looks very good! πŸ˜€
      Happy to see you created a new thread!

• Dustin

2022-08-06 at 4:41 AM

Thank you, Maura! It is quite the simple effect to do. Let me know if you have any questions about it.🙂

Same!

• Maura

Organizer
      2022-08-06 at 8:40 AM

Will do! πŸ˜€

• Dustin

2022-08-23 at 2:49 AM

Marvel Recreation Universe BTS Episode 13: Spider-Man Homecoming

In this episode, we break down everything it took to bring our Spider-Man Homecoming Scene Recreation to life.

This SR is interesting, as it is the only SR in our Film, that features 0 in-depth visual effects or spectacle, and was created for the purpose of telling Peter’s Parker’s story in our Production.

Jon is a massive Spider-Man fan, and after a long wait to perform the character I wanted him to feel what it truly is like to be Spider-Man.

To experience some of Peter’s biggest failures, and successes across the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

In our Film, Spider-Man:

1. Meets Captain America (Extraordinary event) (Big success)

2. Gets his suit taken away by Tony Stark (Biggest Failure) (All is lost)

3. Is dusted in the universe snap (Unfortunate event)

4. Comes back to life, and assembles alongside other Avengers (Epic moment, high stakes)

5. Is betrayed by Mysterio, and defeats him ( Gratifying but sad victory, Strong emotions)

This gave Jon a fulfilling, and satisfying arc to perform Parker, with a wide range of different situations and interactions as the iconic character.

All our 5 main characters in our movie go through Arcs in our Film, this helps keep the audience even more invested as we are telling a story with these characters and using different Scene Recreations from movies to accomplish this.

It’s a story within the Recreations.

This SR is also, one of the lowest points during the making of Mru, as the production was falling apart all around us as me and Jon were filming this one.

Me and Jon were focusing on this SR performance wise, while making sure Mru it’self did not collapse in the process.

Link:

https://youtu.be/1ssxS04qReA

• Colton

2022-08-24 at 2:20 AM

This is a really cool project to work on, Dustin!

• Dustin

2022-08-24 at 3:19 AM

Thank you, Colton!

The Genesis of the idea came from Dustin McLean’s scene Recreations for the show Homemade Movies featured in the YouTube channel Cinefix, (Now known as Cinefix ign movies and tv.)

Dustin created really well don SR’s with DIY costumes and no vfx that inspired me.

What if we recreated scenes from Films using vfx and officially licensed costumes? And what if all those scenes collaged into one single story/ Film?

This idea intrigued me a lot.

Marvel had multiple great films in the mcu, interesting visual effects that would be challenging to recreate, and everything else we were looking for in a movie franchise, so the decision was made to recreate sequences from Marvel Films.

One of the best things to happen with Mru, is years later after it’s creation, Dustin McLean guest starred as Mysterio for the final sequence of our Film.

• Colton

2022-08-31 at 1:28 AM

I am speechless. I did not expect to stumble upon such a great initiative and yet I did! 😇

• Dustin

2022-08-31 at 2:16 AM

Thank you, Colton! 🙂

• Maura

Organizer
        2022-08-24 at 2:25 AM

These BTS videos are so exciting to watch! You had a few challeges to overcome during the MRU series but you did a great job regardless!

• Dustin

2022-08-24 at 3:31 AM

Thank you Maura! The greater the challenges, the greater the rewards! Unexpected situations test how committed you are to the project, and how determined you and your team are to making it happen.

Losing the actors ended up being a blessing in disguise, as it helped push us later on to contact professional cosplayers from all around the world to portray these characters for our Ant-Man and the Wasp – Far from home Scene Recreations.

In this Bts series, we didn’t want to only show the good things that happened with Mru, but also some of the chalenges and setbacks we faced during the production.

It helps give the audience a more fulfilling and thrilling experience in our Bts series.

• Amy

2022-08-25 at 3:36 AM

I like that after you post the videos, you provide more details in your posts about the full experience. I was reading your above comment and you are correct, it is the most unexpected situations that test how committed we are. πŸ˜€

• Dustin

2022-08-26 at 3:39 AM

Thank you, Amy.

There is only so much information you can reveal in a behind the scenes video while keeping it entertaining for the YouTube and Filmmaker audience.

We typically record six minutes of Bts insights per episode, and then cut it down to the best minute and a half or less.

Posts and duscussions on the forums help bring out more behind the scenes details behind our Production.

Indeed!😀

• Dustin

2022-09-03 at 2:16 AM

Marvel Recreation Universe BTS Episode 14: Thor Ragnarok

This SR proved to be one of the most challenging to composite, background wise. The question arose: How do we using stock footage, create a Blue Gladiator arena in space?

It took quite a few tests, and strategies to solve this particular problem.

This SR is also interesting, as it contains Vfx elements that were planned but dropped in post. Some of the visual effects initially outlined, we cancelled in the edit, as it turns out they would have taken more time to pull off then the entire SR itself.

A Big shout – out to my older brother Gabriel Johnson aka Bob. Bob is a soldier in the U.S Army, a video-game developer, and writer, and has helped behind the Scenes on Mru in many ways.

The Green face paint on Thor was a gift from him to use in any of our Productions we needed it for. Our next Production became Mru, and we used it in our Ragnarok SR.

Bob has been apart of Mru and my filmmaking longer than anyone else including our creative consultant Christian M.

Every time we caught up on the phone, I would always discuss Mru and the various stages our production was in.

Bob purchased for me a Star-Lord replica cosplay helmet as an encouragement to keep going with Mru after our first SR, Guardians of the Galaxy 1 Scene Recreation released and before we had more than 2 actors on board for the project.

When Mru was just a dream, on a piece of paper, ready to be created.

And much more.

Mru would not be the same without Bob’s constant support and encouragement across the entire production.

Link:

https://youtu.be/_9cWKllB2uE

• Maura

Organizer
        2022-09-03 at 4:46 AM

I honestly had no idea prior to seeing this video that it could take so long to edit just the red lines!

• Dustin

2022-09-04 at 3:13 AM

Thank you, Maura! it has to do with the way the paint is placed on Thor’s face. If it was one big streak on his cheek, then the editing to change the paint’s color would be fairly simple. Similar to color grading Thor’s cloak gray in our Thor The Dark World SR.

However, it is 4 different stripes of paint on his face.
        Each strips below and above his eye would need to be color graded separately. Multiply that with how many shots Thor is in, and it adds up too many editing hours to accomplish a small effect.

• Maura

Organizer
        2022-09-04 at 5:02 AM

You are completely right! You have to pay attention to the smallest details.

• Dustin

2022-09-05 at 5:01 AM

Thank you! You do.

• Alex

2022-09-05 at 2:24 AM

A true professional knows to pay attention to the smallest details that the amateur won’t even think of. 👏👏

• Dustin

2022-09-05 at 5:02 AM

Thank you, Alex! 👍👍

• Lili

2022-09-05 at 2:26 AM

How you managed to create all these recreations with such a small budget and team is beyond me. Each time I am watching your BTS videos, I am more and more amazed by your mindset considering you did not work on big Hollywood sets before.

• Dustin

2022-09-05 at 5:18 AM

Thank you, Lili! A lot of my Filmmaking knowledge and mentality comes from the Star Wars Prequels (Episodes 1-3) Special features and Behind the Scenes content.

Each film contained a bonus disc of 6 hours of Special features per film along with Audio Commentary’s on the first disc.

Those Special featurette’s broke down everything about the Filmmaking process from planning your dream, to working with Blue Screen, and a detailed look at the Post-Production process.

Along with George Lucas and his team’s attitude during the making of these films.

They taught me anything was possible, to push technology to new heights and to create something unlike what people have seen before.

• Julia

2022-09-06 at 5:45 AM

If one of my teachers would explain the same things to me, I wouldn’t pay so much attention. When you explain these things, I feel like grabbing popcorn and listening more. It is the way that you explain it that makes it so easy to follow up, because you haven’t lost your energy and passion.

• Dustin

2022-09-21 at 2:42 AM

Thank you, Julia!

Apologies for the delayed response, I was on vacation.

A lot of it has to do with how much additional information we do not reveal.

We don’t discuss how to change the color of Thor’s paint red, or how to layer stalk footage and change it’s hue.

Many vfx program tutorials explain that, so instead we break down our sequences, and show it in a visual way.

As a Director, you will most of the time not be concerned with the details behind how a vfx artist created an artificial Sun, but instead, where am I going to angle the artificial Sun for the best impact in this particular shot?

We try to create these BTS episodes with that in mind.

Another factor is emotional connection.

When a project impacts you, you receive an emotional resonance with the production.

When a Filmmaker talks about a project you liked, it’s natural to listen much more intently to what they are saying then if it was someone who directed a film you have never heard of, or in a genre you don’t particularly care for.

I don’t enjoy a lot of Filmmaking How-To books because they are typically written by people who’s name I don not recognize that have directed 1, maybe 2 films.

But if Justin Lin or Gore Verbinski wrote a Filmmaking How – To book I would be there day 1 of publication and hang on to every word they say, because their work impacted me on a deeper level.

• Julia

2022-09-21 at 4:13 AM

No problem, I hope you enjoyed your vacation! πŸ™‚
        You are right, I would also buy that book!

• Dustin

2022-09-22 at 1:56 AM

Thank you, I did! 🙂

Fantastic!

• Dustin

2022-09-27 at 2:58 AM

Marvel Recreation Universe BTS Episode 15: Infinity War

The Mru is interesting, as it is a film without a main villain.

Our antagonist Thanos, ended up getting cut out of 95% of Scene Recreations he was originally featured in.

It’s funny looking back, at how it all happened:

Initially, we wanted to honor Infinity war and Endgame’s massive scale by creating 4 SR’s for each movie. We felt that was the best way to tell our story and live up to everything that happens in these massive films.

The idea was that we teased Thanos at the end of our Battle for New York SR and now he was going to face our SR team Avengers in an epic final showdown. The climax of our film.

Our original layout looked something like this:

IW SR’s:

1. Thanos arrives and takes the Tesseract from Loki.

2. Thor arrives in Wakanda

3. Thanos vs Iron Man

4. The Universe Snap.

Endgame SR’s

1. Hawk-eye vs Black Widow

2. Cap vs Thanos

3. Portals/Avengers Assemble.

4. Iron Man snaps Thanos into dust.

We removed Costumed Loki from our Production for Budgetary reasons, which cut out Thanos’s intro from our film, the Thanos vs Iron Man and Thanos vs Cap SR’S proved to be very similar, so the Iron man vs Thanos SR was cut.

The Cap vs Thanos sequence did not flow well with the pacing and rhythm of our film, our Thanos Costume looked wrong/ less quality in front of our Iron Man Cosplayer.

In the end, it worked out for the best, as it turned out this kind of production did not need a villain. Instead of the Story, being about defeating Thanos, it became about people impacted by the Mcu, uniting together to create something unique and special.

This is the start of the closing final 5 episodes to our BTS Series. After that, we have a couple of other Mru BTS – related projects releasing before the end of the year and then Mru is complete.

This is the beginning of the last of Mru.

Link:

https://youtu.be/ErffU9_TlGA

• Julia

2022-09-27 at 10:21 AM

You manually cut out his face? How?

• Dustin

2022-09-28 at 1:35 AM

Great question! We did not go into much detail about the process in our BTS Episode as I did not want to confuse our audience.

I’ll aim to explain it the best I can here:

It began with two layers:

Layer 1: Spider-Man footage (Keyed out of Blue Screen)

Layer 2: Titan background

Using the Masking tool, we cut out a shape in Spider-Man’s face. As soon as you create a mask shape, the entire footage of Spider-Man disappears and only that one shape remains.

We then brought back a new layer of the original Spider-Man footage without the mask cut out, to resurface the rest of Spider-Man’s face in that scene.

We key frame animated the cut out shape to leave his face on top of the Spider-Man full face layer.

Then copied the mask shape and duplicated the Titan background layer. We pasted the mask shape on to our duplicate Titan background and placed this layer underneath our cut out shape of his face and on top of the Spider-Man full face footage.

The layers layout end up looking like this:

Layer 1: Spider-Man face mask cut – out

Layer 2: Titan background mask cut – out of the same shape

Layer 3: Spider-Man keyed out footage of all his face

Layer 4: Titan background

We manually cut – out each shape of his face using this method and keyframe animated each cut-out one at a time in a certain pattern to leave his face.

Over the course of Mru I used zero tracking, and keyframe animated everything that required it.

• Alex

2022-09-27 at 10:32 AM

I completely understand the challenge of filming a scene right before the rain is coming. But you feel so good when you actually make it just in time. πŸ˜€

• Dustin

2022-09-28 at 1:48 AM

You do! It can be a thrilling experience and help you focus on what shots you really need for this sequence. Jake was not coming back after this filming day, so any footage required we needed to capture at this particular time.🙂

Fun fact: The same thing happened when I filmed the background plates for our Endgame Scene Recreation. Rain began to pour as I headed inside. It’s the reason the sky is somewhat cloudy in both these SR’s.

• Alex

2022-09-28 at 7:16 AM

When it happens more than once, it’s a sign! πŸ˜€ A sign to keep going on in spite of weather! And you have a great story to tell afterwards.

• Dustin

2022-09-30 at 3:44 AM

Indeed It is! 🙂 You do.

• Maura

Organizer
        2022-09-27 at 10:39 AM

Black Panther was a great loss for the industry. I was really sad when I found out. I can completely understand your decision.

• Dustin

2022-09-28 at 1:56 AM

It was. It shocked me and the actors at Mru. One day after filming Black Panther in Wakanda, for this sequence, we received the news that he passed away.

• Harry

2022-09-28 at 7:10 AM

Wouldn’t it be a better way to bring a tribute to your favorite actor and character by releasing that footage instead of not doing it?

• Dustin

2022-09-30 at 4:28 AM

Great question, Harry!

Not releasing our footage honors him, by not touching the role.

Leaving it as his and his alone.

Marvel Studios made a similar decision when they announced they would not be recasting T’challa.

• Harry

2022-09-30 at 2:39 PM

I understand your perspective now. And if Marvel made a similar decision, it is completely understandable.

• Dustin

2022-10-01 at 2:28 AM

Thank you.

• Georgiana

2022-10-06 at 1:46 PM

You should think about filming a sequel. MRU is a complex project and you nailed it successfully! You should recreate other movies as well, maybe more recent ones. There are so many Marvel fans that I am confident would love to be a part of this and support the project in some way. Maybe create a Patreon account and a Tiktok too.

• Dustin

2022-10-09 at 2:36 AM

Thank you, Georgiana. Appreciate the kind words and enthusiasm. I am thrilled that people have asked for an Mru follow-up, and there is significant interest in a sequel.

From the vert beginning, Mru was always designed as one film. To make the best Recreation project we could possibly achieve in our given time frame.

A misconception about Mru, is that I love Recreating Scenes from Iconic Films.

I don’t.

One of the biggest reasons we Recreated scenes from Marvel movies was to improve our Filmmaking craft, and create something unique and special while I practiced different aspects of Film Directing.

Essentially, Mru was my Film-School.

Now that we have something of high-quality and can show people what we are capable of as a director, Recreating sequences from movies is no longer required.

Before Mru, I was telling original high-concept stories and directing them.

That is what I love to do.

We just celebrated a few days ago re-recording (With a better Mike) the very last BTS projects for Mru. The final recordings of Mru.

When our final BTS projects release by the end of the year, Mru will have taken me 7 years to complete.

I am done recreating.

• Georgiana

2022-10-09 at 5:52 AM

years to complete…wow…now that’s dedication!!

• Dustin

2022-10-10 at 2:36 AM

Thank you!

• Dustin

2022-10-13 at 2:54 AM

Marvel Recreation Universe BTS Episode 16: Ant-Man and the Wasp

Mru exists because of Star Wars.

Specifically,

Star wars Episodes 1-3

(1999 – 2005)

Star wars the Clone wars Seasons 1-6

(2008 – 2014)

Indiana Jones Trilogy

(1981 – 1989)

These Films and show inspired my Filmmaking and wanting do something similar in scale, and special effects lead us to Mru.

We made Mru based on many of the same principals from Films 40-20 years old.

The Star Wars books, movies, and video-games from the early 2000’s is where I come from as a Filmmaker.

The principal is this: If you recreate scenes from movies that you love, you will want it to be perfect, and never release it. You will also pick sequences that deeply resonate with you, but have 0 effect on your audience or the entertainment factor.

There is a high level of expectation recreating scenes from well known films, the last thing we needed in the editing room is a strong emotional attachment to the material as well.

Marvel gave us a gray area to work with, Movies that I greatly enjoy but don’t have a strong emotional connection to. It enabled us to release SR’S that I wasn’t 100% happy with but had done all I knew how to do, without being too hard on myself.

Mru was partly about practicing and pushing the SR’S until we had a Scene Recreation of High quality good enough to advertise our self with, and Marvel gave Films gave us the perfect foundation to train on.

It’s one of the reasons I believe Mru works well. We were able to push actors out of their fears of living up these characters because I myself did not care as much about the Heroes as they did.

Jon is the only one who knew I am a Star Wars fanatic, and I told him at the end of the final day we filmed together.

I brought the vision to the project, and we relied on the actors, cosplayers, and the VFX Artists we worked with on our Endgame SR, to bring the love of Marvel to the Production.

Link:

• Maura

Organizer
        2022-10-13 at 2:46 PM

I think I initially missed the Easter Egg😅

• Dustin

2022-10-14 at 12:20 AM

It’s easy to miss😅

• Sorin

2022-10-13 at 2:47 PM

It was a good idea to film a cameo as well

• Dustin

2022-10-14 at 12:33 AM

Thank you, Sorin. Initially, we had footage from a deleted scene for our Battle for New York SR of the Avengers in civilian clothes looking up at something, that I wanted to add in as passengers in the ferry alongside Noah, but the composition was off.

After some VFX tests, it seamed like the audience would be distracted looking at our old Avengers cast from BNY and not Ant-Man and Sunny Burch so the cameos were cut.

• Maria

2022-10-13 at 3:09 PM

In this episode, your entire crew unleashed your whole creativity with Ant Man.

• Dustin

2022-10-14 at 12:34 AM

Thank you, Maria.

• Dustin

2022-10-20 at 2:38 AM

Marvel Recreation Universe BTS Episode 17: Captain Marvel

Carol Danvers proved to be on of the most sought after roles in Mru. Two minutes after sending the SR pitch message, two Actresses responded immediately, with the answer yes, 10 seconds apart from each other.

Rebecca Tremblay replied first, so she received the role of Captain Marvel.

It turned out best for our Production, as Rebecca’s husband plays Nick Fury in this SR.

Finding an actor for Nick Fury proved more challenging than we initially anticipated, and Rebecca helped give us both roles for this Scene Recreation.

Link:

• Maura

Organizer
        2022-10-20 at 6:09 AM

I had no idea that background was flipped. Smart and creative, as always!

• Dustin

2022-10-21 at 12:41 AM

Thank you, Maura! It was not originally intended to be. Initially, our Actors and Cosplayers for this scene were asked to film their footage in front of Green Screens and we would composite the background behind them in Post.

Rebecca and Michael went above and and beyond what I requested and surprised me, by filming their material in font of a practical background.

This made the footage 100% easier to work with, and improved the realism of the sequence.

It also, introduced an unexpected problem: how are we going to place our Phil Coulson Cosplayer into the Scene?

Thankfully, in one of the shots for the Scene Recreation, Fury and Marvel run past the camera and we were able to get a background for Coulson.

• Lili

2022-10-20 at 6:11 AM

The chemistry between husband and wife is better than between friends or strangers πŸ™‚

• Dustin

2022-10-21 at 12:42 AM

It is🙂

• Georgiana

2022-10-20 at 6:12 AM

Improvise, adapt, overcome! 😍

• Dustin

2022-10-21 at 12:44 AM

Indeed! 😀

• Dustin

2022-10-27 at 3:07 AM

Marvel Recreation Universe BTS Episode 18 Avengers Endgame

Our Avengers Endgame Scene Recreations proved to be one of the most exhilarating experiences across Mru.

When the Cosplayers footage starting coming in, the question become how many characters can we get in this SR before our deadline?

1. We now have a Thor Cosplayer, and Star-Lord Cosplayer for this SR, but can we get a Winter Soldier Cosplayer in this Recreation?

2. A Winter Soldier Cosplayer joined our Production, but what about a Doctor Strange Cosplayer?

3. Etc. Until we ran out of time, and the set deadline for the footage arrived.

Some Cosplayers were unable to record their material in time before the final day, so they sent pictures instead.

The Iron Man snap SR, Deadpool scene, Avengers assemble SR, and Far from Home SR are my favorite sequences from Mru.

Recruiting a Deadpool Cosplayer and Deadpool Voice Actor was interesting, as due to time constraints, we contacted them both at the same time.

When we talked to our DP Cosplayer we did not have a DP Voice Actor locked into our Production yet, and when we discussed the role with potential Voice Actors we we did not have the footage from our Deadpool Cosplayer yet.

If we received only the material from one or the other, it would have put the Deadpool scene in Jeopardy.

Both aspects of this character needed to come together in order for this sequence to work.

Thankfully, our Deadpool Cosplayer Gaming Cosplayer, read between the lines and knew the situation we were in, so he voiced Deadpool himself just in case something went wrong with our search for Deadpool Voice Actors.

Graciously, Our Deadpool Voice Actor Jack, joined this Scene Recreation and gave us incredible performance, complimenting Freddy’s DP Cosplay.

Our Cosplayers, Actors, (VFX Artists, for our Endgame Scene Recreation) and voice actor from around the world contributed to our Scene Recreations (Ant-Man and the Wasp – Far from Home) for free.

Link:

• Maura

Organizer
        2022-10-27 at 3:43 AM

Episode 18 already? Amazing!

• Dustin

2022-10-28 at 2:53 AM

Thank you, Maura!

We delayed posting our Ant-Man and the Wasp SR BTS episode for a little while, that way we could have our final episodes in the BTS series release 1 week apart from each other.

• Maura

Organizer
        2022-10-28 at 6:51 AM

I understand. Smart decision! πŸ˜€

• Julia

2022-10-27 at 3:56 AM

Is this the last episode of BTS?

• Dustin

2022-10-28 at 3:00 AM

Great question. This is not. Our Far from Home BTS episode is the last one.

Spider-Man finishes this BTS series.

After that, we have one final Mru BTS project releasing late December.

It’s not a video, but it ends Mru in the best and most satisfactory way possible.

• IstvΓ‘n

2022-11-02 at 3:44 PM

Do you have other BTS content aside from this videos? Such as stills?

• Amy

2022-11-02 at 3:53 PM

If you have stills from MRU, I would love to take a look at them! Maybe create a special thread with them?

• Dustin

2022-11-03 at 5:25 AM

Great question! I do. We have numerous Behind the Scenes Stills covering various Behind the Scenes stages of Mru.

These Photos are a section in our final Mru BTS project.

Our Video BTS Series, showed people how we made a production like Mru, this finishing BTS project will show people how they can too.

• Maura

Organizer
        2022-11-03 at 12:59 PM

I believe we also have a section on our forums, Production Stills, where you can also post a few Stills πŸ˜€

• Dustin

2022-11-04 at 4:20 AM

Thanks, Maura. I will do that🙂

• Dustin

2022-11-04 at 4:33 AM
      • Dustin

2022-11-09 at 3:43 AM

Marvel Recreation Universe BTS Episode 19 Far from Home

This is the final episode in our Mru BTS Video Series.

This Scene Recreation is interesting, as it is one of the very few SR’s that features all the footage we filmed at our Studio for the sequence.

All the SR footage for the base of our Film at our Studio, (Iron Man 3 – Far from Home) we recorded them to be 40 seconds long each and then cut in Post-Production to what duration worked best per SR.

Even the Avengers Endgame SR had some Cosplayer footage taken out, as we ran out of time to recruit more Vfx Artists before the Set-Deadline.

The Original Master of Scene Recreations and the man who inspired our Recreations, Dustin McLean guest starred as Mysterio for our final episode.

Dustin mentored us after our Battle for New York SR was released and gave us some insightful advice that helped improve our Scene Recreations to follow.

( His guidance is one of the reasons most of our SR’S are 10-15 seconds long, and his tips helped Mru become a much better Production.)

When our Cosplayer’s started joining the Production, I felt our Scene Recreations were good enough, and reached out to him for a Cameo.

It was an honor to work with Dustin, and a dream come true. From the very beginning of Mru, I always wanted Dustin in one of our Scene Recreations.

Dustin usually plays Iron Man or an iconic hero in his Trailer Recreations, so it was thrilling to see him take on the villain role of Quentin Beck.

This was Jon’s final SR. As a thank you for being the only actor to stick with the production from Scene 1, all the way to the end, I gave him the Spider-Man Suit and E.D.I.TH glasses prop after filming.

Link:

• Dustin

2022-11-09 at 3:46 AM

Behind the Scenes of Dustin McLean’s Captain America: Civil war Trailer Recreation:

Link:

• Maura

Organizer
        2022-11-10 at 4:44 AM

You worked so hard to set up everything…the green screen, the setup, the cameras…directing the scenes…

• Dustin

2022-11-11 at 6:50 AM

Thank you, Maura. Mru would not have been possible without the many talented people who contributed to bringing it to life…

It’s amazing how one idea from an Actor or/Crew member can improve a sequence to a great extent, and bring new meaning to a Scene Recreation…

I am thankful to all of them for helping create this Recreation Film…

• Amy

2022-11-10 at 4:46 AM

I could watch these all day

• Dustin

2022-11-11 at 6:54 AM

Thank you, Amy

• Jeffery

2022-11-16 at 4:21 AM

It took me a while until I watched them all. Makes me wonder, what is the first video ever you made with MRU?

• Dustin

2022-11-17 at 3:21 AM

Thank you, Jeffery. That’s a great question. The first Marvel Recreation we ever made goes a little while back…

My Older Brother Bob and I created 20-30 minute high-concept Short Films that we would Premier to our Boyscout troop at meetings when we finished editing them.

We wanted our Films to feel like you were watching them in a Cinema, so Bob and I created Recreations of movie trailers to present before the main event. We did a couple of different trailer Recreations from Movies Bob liked first, and then Bob asked me what trailers I was interested in recreating.

There was only 1 Trailer on my mind: The Avengers. I had been wanting to recreate the Battle for New York sequence from the Avengers ever since I saw the movie in theaters with my family.

We both liked the idea and filmed it in 2015.

We had a 0-dollar budget so everything we used was from around the house or Diy.

Iron Man was a Cardboard Boba Fett costume I had made, Captain America was in a Boyscout uniform with the top of a pan as his shield, and Black Widow was a Darth Vader Helmet plus a black sweater. This Recreation had 0 vfx. Bob and I were scared of Visual effects and I stayed away from it as long as I could.

Later, when our Short Films failed completely in 2016, the idea for Marvel Recreations became resurrected as a way to improve our Filmmaking skills and practice our craft.

(This video is not available publicly on our channel, and was created before we had a YouTube Channel.)

Link:
      https://youtu.be/2aWcenkh7bc

• Dustin

2022-11-23 at 2:12 AM

Student Filmmakers Marvel Recreation Universe Interview:

Many new members have joined this conversation since it first began.

Me and Maura, did an interview a little while back discussing some of the history behind Mru:

Link:

https://youtu.be/xfzHTd7XbGU

• Maura

Organizer
        2022-11-23 at 6:47 AM

Thanks for sharing this, Dustin! πŸ˜€

• Dustin

2022-11-24 at 2:38 AM

No problem! 😀