• What is the difference between cinematography and videography?

Posted by Maria on at

Hello, everyone!

I’m new to cinematography and videography and am eager to learn more. I was wondering if someone could shed some light on the difference between the two. What is the difference between cinematography and videography?

Thanks in advance!

Amy replied 1 year, 3 months ago 5 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Amy

at

I learned at Uni that cinematography is the art of capturing motion pictures on film or digital media through the use of cameras, lenses, and lighting. Videography is the art of capturing motion pictures on digital video recordings such as DVDs, VHS, and digital files. Cinematography focuses more on the aesthetics of the shot while videography focuses on capturing the action.

• Kim

Administrator
      at

I don’t think people use VHS anymore. I don’t think there is any company making new VHS players. Is there?

• Amy

at

You are right, Kim! I based my answer from a book that was in my reading list for Uni 🙂

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  Amy.
  • Jeffery

at

Cinematography is used for feature films, television shows, and commercials.

Videography is used for events, documentaries, and wedding videos.

• Maura

at

Everyone can be a videographer but not everyone can be a cinematographer. Cinematography means more strategic planning and it involves a larger crew or a production team. On the other hand, videography can be a one-man-show.