• 3 Easy Short Film Ideas For Filmmaking Students

Posted by Maura on at

Film School has started and it is a great moment to start working on your new short film! You can team up with your classmates, use the gear available on campus and ask for feedback from your teachers during their office hours. You might not have a lot of experience now to create a masterpiece, but you can gain a lot of experience as you start working on your next project.

Here are a few easy short film ideas that you can work on with limited gear and cast:

1. Make a short film about your student life

An easy short film idea is to talk about yourself, more exactly, your student life. You are already at the campus and you can film yourself going to classes or to the library. You can talk about your expectations, dreams and what you are learning this semester. You can create this short film only by using a smartphone with a tripod and the microphone from your phone’s handsfree. You don’t have to spend too much time coming up with a complex script and it is a great way to practice your filmmaking skills.

2. Tell a funny story

You can either create a funny story or you can tell a funny story that actually happened sometime in your life. This idea has low technical requirements and you can film it by involving only a few people – or you can play the roles of multiple people if you are short on cast. One character can have a hat, other character can have a mustache and different clothing styles.

3. Tell the story of someone near you

When you have a really limited experience of writing a script, you can try going with the flow. Find a person that has a story to tell that is within your reach and tell the story to the world. It can be the story of your classmate who is very talented at basketball. Or it can be the story of a person who has recently become homeless. Everybody has a story to tell and you can use them as your main actor and their voice as the main narrating voice. This idea can allow you to focus more on how you present the story from a technical point of view in regards of filming and video editing and not so much on how to write a better script.

What short films are you planning to film this year?

Maura replied 1 year, 7 months ago 7 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Harry

at

I saw a few short films on TikTok that told the story of random people from the street in less than 1 minute. Somehow, that person managed to do it in such a waythat it would make you want to know more about that person’s story. There’s not much you can do in just 1 minute but I think if he made those stories 10 minutes long, with that 1 minute as the intro, it would still be watched by many

• István

at

An easy suggestion would also be to try and make a short film with a horror story. It doesn’t need more than 2 characters, sometimes you can make it with one character that changes outfits, too. You can use what you have around the house to create the scenes and you can find many free copyright sounds online that you can use as well.

• Julia

at

I actually had an assignment to make a short film about my student life. It was supposed to be an easy task, however, considering the fact that I lack experience, it took me a long while to film and edit it.

• Amy

at

I was actually thinking about making a short film but I had no story idea. My brain was literally empty. Now I read your post and I am thinking about making a short film about a friend of mine who is very talented at painting.

• Pratik

at

I am working on few ideas for short films and one for a feature film.

• Kim

Administrator
    at

I don’t know why it says reply to Harry when I am replying but my reply is to the part about “… ideas for film students” Do one about a guy who is having a crush on a cheerleader and goes to talk to her but ends up watching her through her bedroom window and gets caught by her dad. It’s the 70s and he has some pot in his pocket so he ends up in jail or juvenile detention. He writes her letters every day for a while and then stops. She ignores the letters and then one day she reads one and is touched so she reads them all and being emotionally moved she writes him back. When he gets the first letter he cries and writers her back that he cried and she cries and when he gets out of jail right when you think they are going to get together he gets hit by a bus.

• Maura

at

That’s a great idea! I think it would make a great 40 minutes short film 😀

• Maura

at

I just replied to your message, and it showed “Reply to: Kim”. I don’t know why it showed “Reply to Harry”, it is probably an error
      [Later edit] Ok, so apparently when you are replying to a topic, it shows as if you are replying to the first person who commented in that discussion, which in this case, is Harry. I just looked up a few topics on the forums and I saw the same thing happening. But when you reply to a certain person, like I replied to your message, it shows correctly.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  Maura.