• What’s Your Favourite Camera to Shoot With and Why?

Posted by Maura on at

As filmmakers, we all have our go-to cameras for different types of projects. Some of us might prefer a certain brand or model for its image quality, while others might prioritize portability or ease of use.

That’s why I wanted to start a discussion about our favourite cameras to shoot with and what makes them so great. What camera do you prefer to use, and why? Is it the image quality, the ease of use, or something else entirely?

For me, my favourite camera to shoot with is the Sony A7S II. It’s a full-frame mirrorless camera that excels in low-light situations, which is great for shooting in challenging environments. The image quality is also fantastic, and the camera is relatively compact and easy to transport. Overall, it’s a versatile camera that works well for a variety of different projects.

What about you? What’s your favourite camera to shoot with, and what makes it stand out? Let us know in the comments below, and share your experiences with different cameras. I’m excited to hear about the cameras that work well for different types of projects and situations!

Scott replied 11 months, 1 week ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Mariluz

at

In my case, as a smartphone filmmaker, I have worked with different smartphone cameras.

Back in 2020 I worked with a relatively low cost phone: Blu G6. This phone was very resilient with temperature and even water😆 (I recorded many times under rain).

In regards of the video quality is nothing compared with high end smartphones, but was very decent and it had nice options for color correction in its app by default.

Now I’m working with an iPhone 10 and also had the opportunity to use the iPhone 13. Both are excellent. Recordings go smooth and I feel confident with the results after shooting sessions.

In my context (Colombia) is quite dangerous to go out with a professional camera, also the prices are too high and one of my focus as filmmaker is to bring opportunities and tools in places and communities that otherwise would not have the option to make a movie. That’s why smartphone cameras widen, a bit more, the options for us creators of the global south.

• This reply was modified 11 months, 4 weeks ago by  Mariluz.
    • This reply was modified 11 months, 4 weeks ago by  Mariluz.
  • Scott

at

My still photography has always been on Nikon, but now that I am into film I have been shooting with the Panasonic GH5S. I don’t have much experience with other cameras to compare, but I really like using the GH5S. It has a ton of features and long battery life. I’ve been shooting in V-Log, which has definitely been challenging, but I am getting a great image. I think what is important is to just be very comfortable with the gear you choose no matter the brand. Tell a great story and it really doesn’t matter the camera.

Thanks for reading.