• What is the key grip in a movie?

Posted by Jeffery on at

I am not familiar with these titles and I was reading online about the Grip job in the industry. What is the key grip in a movie? I did not understand it. Can someone please explain it to me?

Roy H. Wagner ASC FRPS replied 1 year, 4 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Maura

at

The Key Grip, the Gaffer and the Cinematographer work together. They supervise the grip crews and report the progress to the DoP. The Key Grip needs problem-solving skills, technical knowledge about the gear and strong communication skills because he needs to coordinate the crew. The Key Grip also coordinates the transportation of the equipment and is in charge of its set-up. The key grip plays an important role on set.

• Amy

at

For someone who doesn’t have experience, this is very confusing. It is still very confusing for me as well.

• A key grip is responsible for rigging. Anything that requires structural construction for lighting, camera and effects falls under the responsibility of the key grip. Principally they are responsible for getting any equipment secured safetly into the correct place. They share and control the light through diffusion, scrims and flags. They are also a critical part of the safety team. There main tools require knowledge of physics, structural construction and mechanics. The term “grip” came from the carpentry and theatrical business. The person with a “grip” of tools was considered the most valuable person on the “site”.