• What is the #1 film school?

Posted by Harry on at

It is my dream to make really good movies and become a film maker however I am not so good at being self-taught like others. I need guidance and I believe that going to Uni is the way for me. I live in United Kingdom and I am conducting research on multiple Universities that I could attend. I see so many mixed opinions from graduates that confuse me. I really want to attend the best Uni that I can and use all my enthusiasm in my favor and learn as much as I can. I want to learn from the best teachers. What do you believe to be the number 1 film school?

Julia replied 1 year, 7 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • István

at

The thing with these “number one” schools is that none of them is actually number one. It is a matter of preference and location. You can get a “top 10” best schools in the world. The more you read it, the more you will see this top is different from one website to another. In US and Canada, American Film Institute (AFI) is considered to be the #film school in the world, but then again, so are CalArts or Los Angeles Film School. If you want to know the #1 film school in United Kingdom, you will read online that it’s London Film School. But UK is in Europe so the #1 film school in Europe is considered Academy of Performing Arts’ Film and TV School (FAMU) (Prague) or La Fémis (which is in Paris). For someone who lives in Asia, the #1 film school is either Beijing Film Academy, which is in China, or Korean Academy of Film Arts (KAFA), which is in South Korea.

So as you can see, there is not one #1 Film School. There are many #1 Film Schools, it truly depends where you live, what type of movies you wish to create after you graduate, what you wish to do with that degree and knowledge. Even the movie style is different from one place to another. The American way of making movies is not the same with the Asian way of making movies and you can easily see that by watching some American movies made at Hollywood or some Korean movies. Because you mentioned you live in UK, you should research for a film school in your country, that, of course, if you plan to make movies in the UK after you graduate. Otherwise, if you wish to relocate to another country, you should look for a Film School there.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  István.
  • Julia

at

Istvan had a good point on this one. There is no number one Film School because there are many film making styles. Also, you don’t have to go to the “best film school”, usually, all film schools have great teachers and curricula that can help you in your journey!

Btw, we both live in the same country!