• What is a Unit Stills Photographer and what does it do?

Posted by Amy on at

I have been wondering what exactly is a “Unit Stills Photographer” and what is his purpose on the set. What is required to become a Unit Stills Photographer? What qualities and skills do you need to have for this? And what does the Unit Stills Photographer do on the set?

Julia replied 1 year, 6 months ago 5 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • István

at

Hey Amy,

I guess you also saw my post. I wish to become a Unit Stills Photographer so I guess I could answer a part of your question.

What is a Unit Stills Photographer? As the name suggests, he is a photographer. He is also known as the “Still Photographer”. He takes photos that are later used for marketing and advertising purpose for that specific movie. You can later see these photos being used on billboards, bus stops, on social media and on the official website of this movie. Some most common photos are the “behind the scenes” ones

• Amy

at

Thanks, Istvan, for the explanation!

• Maura

at

Production Stills are a valuable part of a filmmaker’s story. They capture moments behind the scenes that become great memories over the years, while the public can see the atmosphere and context in which the crew worked hard to create a great movie.

In 2021, we had a Production Stills Photo Contest on our original forums. The winner was the picture entered by our member profoto which was taken at the movie set of The Conners – ABC TV.

• Amy

at

That’s a very cool photo!

• Julia

at

Each time when I see stills like this, I wish I was there, casually walking down that street. I would’ve stared at what they do and probably ask them if I can volunteer to help them.

• Sorin

at

He is the person that takes the photos of the people working on set: actors, camera guys, gaffer etc.

• Julia

at

That must’ve been your lucky day, Georgiana! I look forward to having such a lucky day too in the future.