• Tips on how to get the props you need for your project

Posted by Maura on at

When you are working on a project, you will need different props. Depending on your location, it can be easier or harder to obtain those props. There are a few options that you might have:
    1. Craft your own props

This option is time consuming and requires skill, creativity and raw materials. You can also use a 3D printer. A more expensive alternative is to hire someone to craft the props for you.

2. Buy your props

You can try purchasing your props online. The problem is that you might need custom-made props for your project and you might not be able to find exactly what you are looking for.

3. Rent your props

If you live in an area where rental is an option, you can rent your props. There are plenty rental places you can choose from.

How do you get the props that you need for your project?

Meeka replied 1 year, 11 months ago 6 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Lili

at

Sadly, in Romania, I only saw places from where you can rent costumes. I say sadly, because these costumes are not custom made, they are purchased online and the rental price is 80% of the full price if you purchase that costume yourself. There are mostly Halloween type of costumes.

Since you can not rent props from here and not all services ship to Romania (or the transport fee is huge), you are left with the option of doing it yourself. Probably the best option would be to have a 3D printer because it’s easier. Or hire a tailor or fashion designer for costumes. And an artisan for other props.

• István

at

You don’t have to be too skilled to print your own props. I saw the video you posted last week and I was pretty impressed by how that person created his own Iron Man suit. I mean yes, the easiest way is to rent but sometimes that option is just not available to you for various reasons.

• Maura

at

Fortunatelly, technology is becomming very accessible to everyone. This is a good thing, because now every creative person has the tools to create amazing projects, without being limited by not having a big budget!

• Marianna

at

Speaking of props, I saw a very cool video on YouTube with a prop rental house from Los Angeles. I think I would be like a little kid who just entered the cool toy store if I would ever go there. 😀
    This was the video I saw:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnJD7aoWrlI

• Maura

at

That makes us two, Marianna! 😀

• István

at

Thanks for sharing!

• Julia

at

Buying and renting are the best option. Always. But what if you can’t afford it? That is the problem that most film students have to solve. And sadly, I’m not so good at crafting, either. So I just work with what I have and I borrow props from friends and colleagues at this point. 😅

• Maura

at

Adapt. Improvise. Overcome

😅

• Meeka

at

I appreciate all these tips you left for our eyes to view. I will consider these tips when I have to start filming for school next year. I live in Los Angeles, California, where it may be a breeze to get my hands on rental costumes. I do have a few very crafty friends, so hiring them may be the best way to go if I need something done quickly.