• One of my methods to test quality of screenplay : Program it as video game

Posted by Essa on at

Hello Creative Minds,

In this post, i would like to share one of my earliest works, which shows one of my methods to test quality of screenplay, to explore, other filmmaking aspects in simpler way, and relatively easier to implement with zero cost

the method, is turning my screenplay into visual-novel video game, in term of programming, visual-novel games is one of easiest to develop, as it depends mainly on showing artwork and visual scenes more than real interaction which requires real programing

for me, as i have programing background, it was easy for me, to dive in and tries this approach, the below video is example for applying this methodology as result for testing screenplay of short story,
    Humans (-1): Glory`s Guardians (1st chapter of Humans Negative Anthology)

talking about serious issue, common in societies which are still formed of “tribes”, and the common crime there which is called “Honor Murder”

I am thinking about re-producing this simple story into short film, raising awareness toward this serious crime

Hope you find that inspiring, enjoy

Note: as i was just testing, the dialogues have been roughly written , and can be seen at the bottom of screen, my apologies in advance for unclear text

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Caq8mJrbE30&t=1s

Currently, I am working on testing screenplay of 2nd chapter, using completely different method, Stay tuned 🙂

Maura replied 1 year, 3 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Maura

at

You are extremely talented! Not only you are passionate about screenwriting, but you can also create a visual novel game for them! Thank you for sharing your work with us!

• Essa

at

Hi Maura,

Thank you for your kind words 🙂

hope this method inspires the others to find more attractive way to share their screenplay,

• Maura

at

I am sure it will! 😀

• Harry

at

I think this game has the 90’s vibe and could be very popular among the ones who are nostalgic for those times. Did you also compose the music?

• Essa

at

Hi Harry,

regarding video games market, such style still has its own high demand, even one of those games just some years ago was nomitted as game of the year with other highly advanced games, the game is called “Celeste” 🙂 , so our work here is still within the public radar, all we need that interesting narrative 🙂

Answering your question, no I did not, the only original work here is my screenplay, directing and producing it, the rest of what you have seen or heard, it is completely free staff, some owners share it with condition to mention their name, and some just shared it for public use

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  Essa.
  • István

at

After reading a few of your posts, I have noticed your enthusiasm and positive energy. It is always a pleasure to learn from a colleague and see his work.

• Essa

at

Hi Istvan, (Sorry could not find that “a”)

Thank you for your kind words, i am glad you all find this method promising, you encourage me to go back to that test methodology, and re-build its creation tools as “standard tool”, so it become like “product line to produce more screenplays” ,

the interesting part of such method,

1- The screenwriter can “encode” their own screenplay as independent work with its own reserved rights, so as screenwriter, they become ,to the public, owner of their own idea in every sense

2- this method will help to wear other helmets covering other filmmaking aspects, helping having more mature screenplays,

3- easy to apply even for non-programmers, the software used here, called Unity – has built in tools which most times you need just drag-drop ad its theme heavily influenced by film montage and editing tools, It will be my pleasure, to guide and help other screenwriters to help adjust and explore this approach 🙂

Also, if anyone find is interested to work with me on re-producing this narrative as short film, just let me, so we can start working on plan for building the required crew 🙂

Creativity has no sky

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  Essa.