• How can I tell a winter story with just one actor and a smartphone?

Posted by Amy on at

I have an assignment at Uni to tell a winter story. The challenge is to use only one actor and a smartphone. The story will be a short film, that will have between 3 to 5 minutes. Our teacher wants us to use our creativity and come up with something original.

I was thinking maybe of a Christmas story because the Winter Holidays are coming. I am unsure how to proceed because the actor will be me or someone I know, which has a limited acting experience.

Any advice would help me. I am a bit confused and unsure where to start. 😀

• This discussion was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by  Amy.
    Amy replied 1 year, 5 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Maura

at

Do you have any additional accessories that you can use? A gimbal, a tripod, a lav, a ringlight? Or only your smartphone?

• Amy

at

I have a small gimbal for my smartphone. I also have a tripod and a small ringlight.

• Jeffery

at

Winter is not only about holidays, Amy. A winter story can be the story of a normal person that wakes up one morning and decides to go for a walk in the nearby forest or park or any place with nature that you have nearby. Each season has its specific things: autumn has the golden leaves, Winter has the snow. And if it doesn’t snow, you can still find something to talk about, like getting winter clothes on you because it’s cold. It can be a chill short film, not an action. And you can use multiple camera angles to make it a good experience for the watcher.

• Amy

at

I haven’t thought about the “winter story” from this point of view. Thank you, sir!

• Alex

at

Maybe a 3 minutes b roll with a short monologue would be a good idea

• Amy

at

This could work as well