Gun Safety on the Set

• Gun Safety on the Set

Safety on the Set Kim updated 1 month, 1 week ago 2 Members · 3 Posts
  • Safety on the Set

Kim

Organizer
    2021-10-25 at 6:11 AM

It has to be a systematic checking system in place to make sure weapons are not loaded with live rounds and maybe even the actor should be responsible for a final check before firing a black. They should know what blanks look like and be able to know the difference between live ammunition and a blank. Also, check inside the barrel. As far as the recent incident on the production “Rust” where Alec Baldwin killed the cinematographer and injured the director, I don’t understand why he was pointing the gun at anyone or why he fired the gun. Was it a take or a rehearsal? It’s not clear to me exactly why the gun was shot and why it was aimed at the cinematographer. A gun should never be pointed at a person on set for any reason and you would think that someone with as much experience as Baldwin has would know that.

• Safety on the Set

Fred Ginsburg CAS PhD

2021-10-25 at 11:31 PM

The story gets even worse! Apparently, the “prop” gun was used for recreational plinking, using live rounds (not blanks). Why would anyone risk using a prop on a desert firing range, and if so — that weapon needed to be checked, re-checked, and checked again. Makes no sense. But none of the negligence shown on that film set makes any sense at all. Non-firing replicas are cheap and easy to rent or purchase — so why use a functioning firearm? And every one who has ever been taught about guns knows that you check the chamber every single time the gun changes hands.

• Safety on the Set

Kim

Organizer
    2021-10-27 at 6:00 PM

I still don’t understand why the gun was pointed at the cinematographer. Someone emailed me that it might have been a shot of him shooting the gun so that it was pointed at the camera. I guess that is possible.

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now