How can I do the acting in my own student film?

• How can I do the acting in my own student film?

Posted by Julia on 2022-05-17 at 3:43 AM

Good day!
    I am Julia and I am extremely passionate about filmmaking. For this reason, I am a filmmaking student. In the past weeks, I have been struggling with my assignment of making a short film, featuring myself. The assignment specifically asks to explore the acting side of filmmaking and create a short film of maximum five minutes, where each of us film ourselves, acting on a narrative of our choice. The assignment script can be original or it can be inspired from an existing film (which we will have to give credit to, of course).

I have never done this before and for me everything is still new. For this reason, I am here to seek wisdom for those of you who are more experienced. How should I proceed in doing the acting in my own film? What do I do to act natural? I tried filming myself but the result was very cringe and I was very unnatural. My voice was also very off as well and it sounded robotic.

Thank you for your time and I appreciate every advice you will give me!

Julia

Julia replied 1 month, 2 weeks ago 6 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Acting

Maura

Organizer
    2022-05-17 at 3:45 AM

Hi Julia! We actually have a member who is more experienced than I am in doing exactly this. I will tag him: @capricious

• Acting

Julia

2022-05-17 at 3:46 AM

Thank you, Maura! 🤗

• Acting

István

2022-05-17 at 7:42 AM

Turn on the camera and let it turned on. Let it record everything. Take a deep breath and practice. Call a friend on the phone for a few minutes, just to forget the camera is there. After the call is over, try practicing again. Don’t take it seriously – after all, you can always record again. If you stop taking it seriously, you might be more natural and forget the camera is there. You might even love the result!

• Acting

Julia

2022-05-18 at 4:39 AM

This is a great idea! Thank you, Istvan!

• Acting

István

2022-05-26 at 4:25 AM

Good luck!

• Acting

Alex

2022-05-17 at 7:48 AM

I am comfortable behind the camera but anxious in front of the camera. It is normal. Some people seem to be born to be in front of the camera. Other people practice until they get it right. You don’t have to worry too much and don’t be too hard with yourself. It is like going to the gym – the more you go, the better you will be at making the exercises. 😀

• Acting

Julia

2022-05-18 at 4:40 AM

I am the same – shy in front of the camera, brave behind the camera. Thank you for your kind words! I will continue to practice more.

• Acting

Adam

2022-05-25 at 5:16 PM

It does take a while to get comfortable, but if you don’t have the time, the best advice is to forget the camera is there, no is watching, easier said then done, but it is more a psychological thing if any, if you’re not used to seeing yourself or hearing yourself on camera it usually does seem off, like Ivan said deep breathes relax and be yourself in the situation of the seen, if you want you can always add more.

• Acting

Julia

2022-05-26 at 4:20 AM

Thank you for the advice! I saw your videos and you are a very good actor! I wish I can get that comfortable in front of a camera at some point

• Acting

Amy

2022-05-27 at 3:57 AM

Hello Julia!
    I never did the acting to my own film before and I honestly find it terrifying. Our teachers might give us this assignment at some point so I am preparing myself for when that time comes. It makes sense, because how can you know what to expect from your actors if you never tried it, right?
    On the other hand, actors are preparing to become actors and they have some talent, which we, the rest of the world, do not. The fear is real and I feel you! Don’t let the fear overcome your mind and try to trick yourself to do the task. Every time I get a task that I am afraid to do, I try to trick my mind into doing it.
    Good luck!
    Amy

• Acting

Julia

2022-06-27 at 6:59 AM

You are right, Amy! How can we know what to expect from others if we never tried to do it ourselves?