Is screenwriting a good career?

• Is screenwriting a good career?

Posted by Georgiana on 2022-10-24 at 8:05 AM

I saw many of you on the forums are screenwriters. I have very little knowledge about screenwriting but I would love to learn more from one of you who are already working as one. Is screenwriting a good career? I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Kim replied 5 days, 13 hours ago 7 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • István

2022-11-02 at 3:50 PM

Screenwriting is a good career if you have writing skills. You will have to work long hours and you will have to struggle to find your place in the industry but once you manage to do this, you will have a job that you will enjoy doing.

• Amy

2022-11-02 at 4:00 PM

Any career is a good career. There are ups and downs of any path that you will choose. You will not find a career in this world without hardships. You will not find a career in this world without positive aspects as well. There is a balance. Screenwriting could be a good career for you. You need to enjoy reading other scripts. You need to like movies a lot.

• Colton

2022-11-07 at 6:27 AM

This is not the first question you should ask yourself. The first questions you should ask yourself is: am I passionate about screenwriting? Do I like to write screenplays? Do I like to write in the first place? Do I like to read?

If the answer to all these questions is YES, then you can ask yourself whether this would be a good career for you or not.

• Harry

2022-11-08 at 9:39 AM

There are a few screenwriters on these forums that can answer you to this question. What I can tell you is that if you are into writing scripts, you are going to have a lot of fun and meet a lot of people. A big part of your job is just you, a cup of tea and the paper (or your laptop). The other part is seeing your work being put into action which is very satisfying to watch.

• Jeffery

2022-11-16 at 4:21 AM

If you are into this, it would be nice to make a living out of this as well. If you are not into this, then it won’t be a good career for you because you can’t be successful in an industry that you are not into. You need to put in a lot of work to become a screenwriter and you need to study a lot for this. When I say study, I don’t mean go to University, I mean do research on your own.

• Kim

Organizer
    2022-11-21 at 9:52 AM

It certainly can be a great career and can lead to other things like directing and other producing aspects and even include acting. I love Sylvester Stallone’s story about how he wrote Rocky and was flat broke and how he insisted on being in the movie when he sold the script.

I think writing also in its own virtue can be a creatively satisfying occupation. Career and work are not all about money. Remember that success is subjective and if you want to write screenplays then at least walk that path long enough to know if that is going to be a career for you that again, might expand to other things.