Filter

close

The Benefits of going to Film School

• Creator
    Discussion

• Marianna
    Participant

Last week, I posted about the film school that I am going to in Berlin. I saw a few opinions whether film school is really necessary for you to become a filmmaker. I do agree that experience is important and dedicating time to learn how to shoot good movies. I agree that you can start with what you have – a smartphone. But there are some benefits that I believe film school brings and I have noted down a few of them. If you know other benefits as well, I am waiting for them in the comment section.

The Benefits of going to Film School

1. Degree – Having a degree from a film school has value on the work force. Maybe you wish to become a video editor, a gaffer, a key grip or an assistant. When you work on your own, it is difficult to get yourself noticed and you have to do all the work, while a degree allows you to apply for the job you really want, even if it is not the director, actor or producer. Having a degree also shows that you are truly passionate about filmmaking and you are willing to perfect your work and improve yourself.

2. Professional equipment – my film school (and from what I have heard, other film schools as well) give its students access to professional equipment and teaches us how to use it. Renting equipment is possible without going to film s chool, but learning how to use it is also important. And this brings me to benefit number 3.

3. Mentors – It is easier to learn from a mentor than from online internet tutorials. A mentor speaks from his experience and can give you the best advice based on your current situation.A mentor also provides feedback for your work and suggestion for improvement. Teachers are happy to help dedicated students get b etter and if they see you truly work hard, they will provide support.

4. Networking – When you go to a film school, others with the same passion, hobbies and interests attend the same school. You will soon find out that it is easier to create new projects as a member of a team and it is easier to create a team in film school than it is without film school. You want to shoot movies for experience? You can find people to help you at your school. They need help? You can help them. Everyone learns from this experience and it is easier to create a portfolio. Some of your friends that you will meet in film school will work in the industry after graduation and might be your future co-workers. You can also meet other people who already work in the film industry and if they see your potential and they like your work, you might get a recommendation that will help you in your future work.

• You have brought strong argumetns, Marianna! I believe film school is important. 🙂 I believe what the others were trying to say is that film school is not the only way to have a career in the film industry, but it definetely helps a lot.

• There are always many ways to do the same thing. It is important to choose the path that you think it is the best for you, work hard and don’t give up! 😀

• From my own and personal experience, there is a huge misunderstanding when it comes to film school. It is like any other school you can go to, with the main focus on filmmaking. This means that you get to meet teachers who are experienced in filmmaking. This also means that you can go the extra mile and work on as many films as you can and ask for feedback. They are open and happy to provide feedback, even after the classes are over. You also have access to try out new equipment that is very expensive and you can even use it to film. Free of charge. So you get equipment, you get guidance and you even get others who are just like you.

The problem is that most of my colleagues would rather go to the pub and get drunk all the time than work hard. Then they graduate. Then they expect that only because they have a diploma, they will end up working on big Hollywood projects. It doesn’t work that way. You have to work as hard as you can to improve yourself and even look for internships which are not that difficult to find, especially when you are a student at a prestigious filmmaking uni. You can’t just go around partying and expect success to somehow find you in the middle of a rave party.