How do I find filmmakers in my area?

• Creator
    Discussion

• Colton

Good day student filmmakers from all over the world!

I am a novice in this industry and I wish to make my first short film. I do not own any professional gear (I have a smartphone) and I do not have any experience. However, I wish to learn as much as I can and follow my passion for filmmaking! It would be very helpful if I could find other filmmakers. I could volunteer and help and I wish to make new friends with the same interests. How should I proceed? Is there a thing such as a filmmaking club? Or a method that I can use to find other filmmakers in my area?

• In my case, the best method to make new friends in this field was to go to events: workshops, conferences, seminars, festivals. Aside from learning something new, I also met great fellows and we bonded by making memories together and by talking with each other. It is great to have someone to talk to about random problems that you might stumble upon, for example, I had an issue with my camera and one of the people I met also had the same issue but he also had the fix which greatly helped me.

• You can also use the “Member Search” option on our website and maybe you can find people from your area. Just go to MEMBERS (from the left panel) and write down your city in the “search” box. Let me know if you need any help with this!

• Try searching for them on social media then send them a friendly message. 🙂 If you are not more of a “message” type of person, you can also find them at local events.

• You need to get out of the house. If you live in a small town, it is easier to spot them outdoors because the areas where they can film are limited – for example, in that local park or forest. If you live in a big city, you must be fortunate enough to have more options to choose from, for example, a film festival.

• The method that I personally use is not accessible to everyone because I went to Uni, which is expensive and time consuming.