• How can I increase the clarity of the sound in my videos?

Posted by Julia on at

I am having trouble increasing the quality of my sound in the videos I film. I am working on a very low budget because I am a student, I use mostly an iphone and a lavallier. This doesn’t seem to be enough. I know that pros use special gear to separately film (or purchase) background sounds such as steps, wind etc. I would want to try and record some of it myself with my gear. Also, when people speak in my videos, their voice is not so clear if I film outside and there is traffic.

Any advice?

István replied 1 year, 10 months ago 6 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Alex

at

It is not an easy task, Julia. But it’s not impossible. You can fix some of those issues in post edit but you need a bit of knowledge about how to edit the sound. You could try using internet libraries for foliage such as the sound of steps or the sound of cars. You never know what you might find until you look them up.

• Lili

at

Don’t get discouraged, Julia! You might work on a small budget, but there are many options you can still use! The difference between a big and a small budget is that you learn to improvise a lot. This can make the whole task a bit harder but you also become better! Anything you can do on a small budget, you can easily do with a big budget. 🙂 So it is a plus!
    As for the sound clarity, you can edit the sound, like Alex said, or you can find ways to record the parts that have dialogue in a less crowded area. If you want to use a specific location, try very early in the morning, usually right after the Sun rises, when most people are still sleeping. You just have to get your crew up and ready at that hour

• Amy

at

I am struggling with the same issue. I believe it is an issue that most students have to face at some point and just as Lili said, we need to find a quick unconventional fix

• Maura

at

Hi Amy and Julia,

Indeed, when you are working on a small budget, you encounter all kinds of obstacles but don’t worry, it’s part of the learning process! The sound doesn’t need to be perfect, it needs to be clear and the background noise should not be louder than the person who is speaking. And it should not distract the audience. What I could suggest would be to use background music (from a Royalty Free Library) and sound that you record in a silent place using the lavalier. Maybe it is not always an option but it’s worth a try. Good luck!

• István

at

The only solution I see with this is post edit the sound and remmove noise. There are even some plugins that help you with that, depends on what software you are using.