• How can I film videos for multiple social media platforms?

Posted by István on at

We live in an age of constant change and it can be a challenge to keep up with all these new platforms and apps that are now used by many. I remember that most people were making YouTube videos in 2007 until 2010, and since 2014 they started making Facebook videos, too.
    A few years back, the trend moved to Snapchat and Instagram Reels and now TikTok seems to be the new player there is. This makes me confused because the format of these videos used to be horizontal for YouTube and Facebook videos and now everyone is making Vertical videos, because so many users view videos from phones. It is not hard to be confused with so many things changing so fast and I am wondering if the next trend won’t be VR and 360 videos too! What are your thoughts on this?

Julia replied 1 year, 10 months ago 5 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • camila

at

Personally, I think each format has its own objetive, audience and dynamics. Therefore when you think about making content you have to considere that, maybe the thing you are planing is not meant for a instagram reel but it’ll work on a instagram or facebook post. So as a filmmaker you have to keep in mind which is better to communicate your ideas.

Sometimes what saves me in certain situations is trying to film always in 4K and make composicions a bit wider that i’d usually do. So while editing, I can resize it to make a reel or an Instagram story so I can advertise my content easier. It doesn’t always works, as it depends on the size of the frame, but it’s something to bear in mind in case you are not that sure about where are you gonna use those images for.

• Maura

at

Camila suggested a very practical approach, which I also use when possible. 🙂 It is best to keep in mind the multiple uses of a footage when shooting a video for social media.

There is also the method in which you film a separate video for each social media, however, it is more time consuming and I wouldn’t recommend it unless it is not possible to do it any other way.

• Alex

at

I honestly go the extra mile and shoot a different video for each format. Tik Tok and Instagram Reels and YouTube shorts have the same format, however, posts have a different format. Yes, it will take longer, but quality requires work and dedication. 😀

• István

at

Thank you for your advices @camila ! Do I also need a special lens for this? 🙂

@NialMedia you also have a point in your approach. How long does it usually take you to make a video for each format?

• camila

at

Depends on your camera, but maybe if you want to use a video both for vertical and horizontal mode you’d better go with a 35mm or bellow. But remember that lens choices also have an impact on the meaning of your images, so try to give the preproduction a thought before filming.

• István

at

Thank you for explaining to me, Camila!

• Julia

at

I am having the same issue because it is difficult to have a video for all social media platforms if you do not specifically film it for that format. Instagram and TikTok are the vertical videos platforms and so are some YouTube videos. However, you need horizondal videos for longer YouTube videos. You can’t film it horizontally then crop it for the other two platforms, it won’t look good. One way or another, you have to work twice or just focus on one platform that you believe it can being you the most exposure