How can I film a chasing scene with a low budget?

• Creator
    Discussion

• Marianna
    Participant

I have an assignment to film a film scene using my own gear. The problem that me and my colleagues have at this point is that we are all on a small budget, meaning we all have a smartphone and a gimbal for that smartphone.

The chasing scene can be a car chasing scene, a bicycle or a running chasing scene. The scene can contain maximum 3 people (1 chasing another one, or two chasing another one)

• I once went to a training on how to shoot content using your smartphone and gimbal and someone made a demonstration. It used a gimbal (Dji Osmo Mobile 2), it’s very simple to use.

There were 3 characters involved: Character A was running, character B was chasing A. A got into a taxi and got away. The person who was shooting the scene used rollers. He was also holding the gimbal upside down, filmed from the ground their running shoes on the concrete, then the image slowly got up to their face. It was a 2 minutes long scene. I searched for something similar on youtube but I could not find it 🙂

• Also rollers can help you have a steady image

• Thanks for the suggestion, Maura! I will think about it, I don’t have rollers though but that idea is brilliant!

• I have seen someone film a chasing scene using magnets and toy-metal-cars and a funny voice over. Maybe a “toy story chasing scene” would be easier to create than an actual chasing scene? 😀

• That’s actually not a bad idea! I haven’t even think of that!

• Good luck! Your teacher will appreciate your creativity!

• Do not be afraid to try something new. And also, do not be afraid to try something simple. Sometimes, the best results come from the good execution of simple ideas.

• I also hold my gimbal upside down. You can get a better angle from that point.