Do you have to go to Filmschool to be a Director

• Creator
    Discussion

• Kim
    Keymaster

The question is do you have to go to film school to be a director? Most answer this with the statement that it’s better if you go to film school and some say it is required but I disagree. I guess I am not really asking a question so much as stating an opinion and that is that don’t think you need to go to film school to be a director.

• The answer to the question is no. Film school can help you understand the basics that are needed to be a director but there are so many successful directors out there that did not go to film school. You can also be self-taught. A few examples of film directors that did not go to film school are: Christopher Nolan, Steven Spielberg, Wes Anderson, Quentin Tarantino…

• Not at all. With my experience in the film school I can say that.

Every institute comes with their own rules/syllabus. And at many places it is outdated.

I guess to be a film director one needs to come out of his own insecurities. If one thinks that this is the medium to express, then going there and trying it out can only help. Most of the time going in that unknown territory threaten us, so we neet some support like film schools and other things.

(At some extent it can help but after coming out of the institute also, you need to start again from scratch)

• Kim

Thank you Pratik, this is insightful.

• I hope not because I do not have a degree yet and I do want to make films!

• Kim

I know it may seem obvious, but I think directing requires people skills and emotional intelligence.

• Without these skills it is very difficult to be a good director. Most people believe that only techical abilities are important however filmmaking is also about working with other people, actors, video editors, gaffer and so on. You cannot make a big production all by yourself, it is all about team work.

And to answer the question of the topic, no, you do not need film school to develop these skills, you need experience. However if you are just starting….how can you make that experience when you don’t know anythng or anyone in the industry? At least by going to film school, you have someone to ask these questions, someone to guide you. You meet people you can work with who are in the same location as you.