HomePage Forums Jobs and Internships Do short Summer jobs count as experience?

• Do short Summer jobs count as experience?

Posted by Amy on 2022-07-25 at 2:59 AM

I am currently on Summer break from Uni and I was thinking of getting a Summer job. I know that after I will graduate and I will start applying for jobs, the first thing I will get asked is “what is your experience?”. It is difficult to build up your experience when you have none. For this reason, I was considering getting a very simple job that does not require much experience, like Runner. However, the problem is that Uni starts again in the autumn so I cannot hold to this job for longer than a couple of months. Would this short job count as work experience in my Resume?

Julia replied 4 months, 1 week ago 6 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Maura

2022-07-25 at 3:08 AM

I believe everything counts as experience. You should do it! You might learn many new things and increase your networking!

• Amy

2022-07-28 at 6:02 AM

Thank you, Maura! I do wish to learn new practical things and meet new people!

• Lili

2022-07-25 at 3:21 AM

When you are still young and full of energy, you can easily learn new things just by being near people who are doing them. You can learn so much from just talking with some people that are on set and give you advices based on their experience. Don’t just go there to do your job like a robot. Go there to meet the people, meet the crew, talk to them and learn new perspectives. Yes, it will help you in the future! I don’t know how much it will matter in your Resume but I do know that it will matter on how you will grow in this industry in the following years! And this is also very important!

• Amy

2022-07-28 at 6:03 AM

You are right, Lili! If I don’t do it now, then when?
      I was so focused on building up my Resume that I was missing the purpose of also growing as a person!

• István

2022-07-26 at 7:51 AM

I can answer your question with a little exercise of imagination. Let’s imagine that you don’t go the extra mile to gain even a little bit of experience in this industry. You just go to school and one day you will graduate. And then you will apply for jobs with 0 networking and 0 practical knowledge because, let me tell you, there is a huge difference between learning in a nice environment such as school and an unpredictable environment such as actual work.

Sure, the HR agency might discard your experience. Or maybe not. But in the end, it matters who you meet along the way and what you know how to do. And what better way to learn to do something than by going there and doing it? What better way to meet new people than going there and meeting them?
    Good luck!

• Amy

2022-07-28 at 6:04 AM

This is very deep and philosophical. I have never thought of it this way. In the end, it is not everything about the HR or Resume, it is also about the life experience that you can only have by going out of your comfort zone and start getting involved.

• István

2022-07-29 at 3:13 AM

I am happy I could help!

• Alex

2022-07-27 at 3:25 AM

You could ask them for a recommendation, which might help you at your future job 🙂

• Amy

2022-07-28 at 6:05 AM

A recommendation would really help! Thank you for the idea, Alex!

• Julia

2022-07-29 at 11:10 AM

After going the entire year to Uni it is very difficult to get a Summer job instead of resting or practicing new projects. There are also benefits such as extra money and if you get a job in this industry, you can start to get an idea of what this is all about. I mean, it’s not much but it’s a start!