Copyright issues

• Creator
    Discussion

• Kailer
    Participant

Hi, I’m Kailer Riley, a student filmmaker. I wanted to use the song Money by Pink Floyd in one of my films and I didn’t know if I should get a license for it and if I should, what website to use. Otherwise, I didn’t know if I entered the film into a festival, if they would accept it or not because it has copyrighted music. Would you know how to solve this issue?

• Kim

I think it depends on how you use it as in what context and all. I am not a lawyer but I think there are some loop holes that don’t require a lic. You can check the ASCAP site https://www.ascap.com/ and someone there can probably get you details. I will ask around for you too and see if I can find out anything. 👋

• Hi Kailer! Nice to see you here! Sadly, copyright is an obstacle we all face when making movies.

But there are solutions! Many composers in our community can help you, free of charge. They need experience and a portfolio and you need a soundtrack.

There is also the option to use free copyright music. There are online resources, such as bensound.

• The answer is simple, you can’t.

But you can ask a local band to give you permission to use one of their songs. Or you can use free copyright music.

• Amy

Good day, Riley! Don’t be demotivated by this obstacle, we all encounter it. I know the selection for royalty free music is not generous, however, there are some really good composer on this website that could help you with a song that would be perfect for your project. I stumbled upon two Berklee students here and they had a really good portfolio, too. I can point you directly to their profiles, just send me a message if you are interested.

• Hi Kailer Riley! I have a suggestion for you. Instead of using the Pink Floyd song, which is copyrighted, why not ask a local band to do a cover of that song? Use their cover instead. Good luck!

• Kim

You can get a lic. It’s just going to cost you. I don’t like to assume but usually young people don’t have a pile of cash. Also, I like to encourage people to try. Maybe someone who believes in your project will give you the funds or you might get a special offer being a student. Here is a link that might be helpful. https://legismusic.com/license-famous-songs/

• Dear all,

Thanks so much for all of your help! I will definitely try to use some of the advice you’ve given to me. However, I was wondering if you would know if film festivals would still accept projects with copyrighted music? I feel very strongly about using this Pink Floyd song and I didn’t know if it would be an issue. I post my work on YouTube and I need many more subscribers and views to receive demonetization so I think I’m good there.

Thanks, Kailer

• Kim

I don’t think a film festival will accept it without an approval from the copyright holder. 😀