Advice Needed! Autumn Short Film About A Poem

• Creator
    Discussion

• Julia
    Participant

I saw a suggestion on the forums about Short Film ideas that could be shot during this Autumn. One idea in particular vibed with me and I was thinking to give it a try.
    The idea is to create a short film using a poem. As I was thinking more on how to actually do this, I stumbled upon a few obstacles:
    Problem No. 1: I am not a writer, therefore, I do not know how to write poems. Could I use a poem that is available on the internet? I was thinking about “The Raven” by Edgar Allan Poe. Could I use his poem without having copyright issues?
    Problem No. 2: I am not a good actor and I do not have any friend or mate that wishes to help me out with this. I am camera shy, too. I was thinking of shooting videos of nature and birds and such for the short film. I am not a good director either, as I am a student and I am still learning. Any suggestion would help me on how to shoot this short film.

And Problem No. 3: What advice would you have for me regarding the audio track? Should I use a dramatic voice on a slow pace?

• You could find an old house or an old abandoned house and film the autumn leaves around it and how the wind blows. The hardest part would be to find an actual raven to film but I guess you could find one in a forest. Or maybe film a crow if you do not find a raven 😅

• That’s actually a good idea!

• In the country side, you can find many birds and you still get the Autumn scenery. Maybe you could talk to a farmer to let you film a few shots on his farm.

• The problem is that the country side is a bit far from where I am living and I don’t know where I could find such a farm.

• Problem No. 1: The poem should be in the public domain so you shouldn’t have any copyright issues, as long as you mention the author.

Problem No. 2: You can use what you have within your reach. Film close ups. You can also film nature and birds, you just need to read the lyrics and see what would fit best in your vision.

And Problem No. 3: You could use a dramatic voice on a slow pace. But you don’t have to be dramatic, you can get creative and try the voice that you feel fits best.

• Thanks,, Alex!

That’s a great idea, to film close-ups!

• 1. It’s public domain, like any other work that has become public property in the past which means it’s not protected by any copyright law.

2. You can use anything you wish really, after all, it is how you see the poem, you don’t have to take it word by word. Maybe “The Raven” is something else for you, not an actual Raven.
    3. You could try even a horror-voice approach. Why not, Halloween is coming after all. Maybe your version of “The Raven” is a horror story.

• A horror short film inspired by Edgar Allan’s Poe Raven? Now this is something I have never thought a bout until this moment! Great suggestion, Harry!

• Amy

“The Raven” by Edgar Allan Poe belongs to the Public Domain ( You can see for yourself here: http://www.public-domain-poetry.com/edgar-allan-poe/raven-1717 ). For the “midnight dreary”, you can film a few shots of the Thames at noon. You could film someone walking there with a long dark cloak for the part “while I pondered, weak and weary”. For the next verse, you will need a location, a “home”, it can be where you are living or at someone else’s home, preferably a house. You have to work a little to find all those locations.
    For the voiceover, maybe try asking one of your male colleagues with a deep voice to do the voiceover? This is how I always imagined this poem. Maybe I am wrong. Do what you think is best for you.

• It’s a lot of work to be done and this little project seems to be a bit more complicated than I initially thought. It would be a challenge that I am not afraid to take! 😀