Local Pizza Shop Promo Video Experience

Rowen Henderson

I recently made a short promotional video for a local pizzeria. I'm very new to doing video work for businesses but I thought I'd share my experience anyway.

One thing I've struggled with is finding people/businesses to work with - especially when I didn't have any example work to show. In this case, it was through a friend of a friend who owned the pizzeria. I guess just ask around, ask your friends and family and offer to make some video work for them.

For the setup, I just used a single LED light with a softbox and grid which I used for lighting each shot. I think this is the one thing that most improved the quality of the film. I would have liked to have had a little more bounce light so it wouldn't be as contrasty but I tried to recover some of this in the colour grading.

Let me know if you want to know anything else about the shoot, I'm happy to share, I know I had loads of things on my mind going into it. Also open to critique!

Maura B.

The Last Black Unicorn
Staff member
That pizza looks delicious! :) The promo is nice, I like it very much! :D As an advice...you should work on a shorter version of 20-30 seconds as well. What you could also try is to make it a bit more dynamic somehow :D You could show the ingredients in a more dynamic way. And probably a more up beat music would help. Maybe someone from our forums would be more than happy to come with a song for your next project :D There are many who are looking for new experiences.

Rowen Henderson

That pizza looks delicious! :) The promo is nice, I like it very much! :D As an advice...you should work on a shorter version of 20-30 seconds as well. What you could also try is to make it a bit more dynamic somehow :D You could show the ingredients in a more dynamic way. And probably a more up beat music would help. Maybe someone from our forums would be more than happy to come with a song for your next project :D There are many who are looking for new experiences.
Thank you very much for the feedback! I appreciate it!

camilatorti

The quality is very good!! I agree with Maura that you should maybe try to trim it down to 20 seconds maybe and It'd be nice if you could bost the exposure a bit in post, if it doesn't bring up noise :giggle:

I had the same experience as you. I'm new in this business and although some people approached me to do videos but as I didn't have promo videos to show (I mostly did short films and documentaries) they wouldn't agree to pay me for the job. I got kinda frustrated as every job opportunity went down like that, but I can't blame people, I didn't have the means to show them I could do a good job with their money. So a friend offer me to do a free video for a friend who's got a small crafted beer factory (family thing). We did it with what we had but in the way we wanted because we wanted people to say "I want a video like that". And that's what happened. The video got many videos and now people trust us enough to pay us :giggle: So now I'm working on more videos like that one.

Keep doing videos and posting them on social media, I'm sure you'll get recognized soon