Lighting Practically in July issue of SF

reggie_obe

New member
I read the article and found it generally interesting and helpful. Unfortunatly, it also contains some inaccuracies of a technical nature.

The author states: the wiring was rusted; there was no way for him to find the circuit and attach his power source; the fixtures were spaced 10 feet apart; he used ten 200 watt incandesant globes; the wire he used was 14 gauge (type unknown, TW, MTW, THHN, SO cord, SPT, NM??). Based on the cost he stated, I'm guessing he used SPT or lamp cord.

Ferrous metals rust, copper corrodes. Did he check any of the existing fixtures with a voltmeter to determine if there was any voltage? If he didn't do that prior to gutting the old fixtures, it is a serious safety issue. If the circuit was indeed dead, but continutity existed in the wiring (easily checked with a meter). the generator could have been tied into the first fixture, saving time and the expense of wire. Ten 200 watt globes will draw 16.66 amperes at 120 volts. 14 gauge wire is only rated for 15 amps, so we are overloaded to start with. The voltage drop of 100 feet of 14 gauge wire is beyong accept limits. The existing wire in the building was probaby 8 or 10 gauge.

His intentions were good, but the execution of his ideas, if copied by others could result in serious injury or death. Did he consider enlisting the help of an electrician from the hospital's maintenance or engineering departments?

In the future, similar articles should be proofed by a qualified individual, prior to publication.
 

Kim Welch

Senior Member
Staff member
would you like to write and article for the next issue?

would you like to write and article for the next issue?

would you like to write and article for the next issue?
 
Top