Hello, all. Another victim.

I

Ira

51-year-old Ira here, married with children, south Florida--getting into 16mm as a hobby. Sorry if this is a long post, but I'm basically a blabbermouth. Plus, maybe this information will help others.

For some of you young whipper-snappers out there who might not see the logic of going film, you simply haven't lived until you've inhaled fixer. (In case you don't know, it's a processing chemical.)

I'm waiting for my wind-up Russian K-3 to arrive. I'm not concerned about motor sync right now because I'm going to start with replicating b&w silent-film era, short-form stuff (comedy at first). I know you've seen examples where they "kind of" copy that genre, but I'm pulling out all the stops to get it right. Once my raw film is shot, it'll get converted to digital and edited in the computer with music.

Since time and expense, plus weather, is such an issue with filming, I'll be doing most of my shoots as indoor scenes at home--creating sets in my backyard under a huge canopy. I'll also be shooting at night, so I have 100% control of my artificial lighting without the unpredictability of ambient light. This is especially important for the 20's silent look that I'm going after, because I'll be experimenting with different reversal films and push/pull processing before shooting any actual scenes.

Although I originally thought a faster and grainier film like Tri-X would be the way to go, I just learned that Spectra Film in California sells a very interesting high-contrast b&w reversal under its own name with an ASA of just 6!!! I spoke to the guy there, and he said it has a very "other worldly" look. The sample shot on their site looked AWESOME, I think perfect for what I want, but I have no idea about what kind of lighting problems I'm going to have shooting for ASA 6. (I'll probably have to light up the whole neighborhood.) I'm pretty sure I'm NOT going to depend on the camera's built-in metering.

Anyway, that's the plan. With film, you have to really plan your moves because of the expense, and that's why it's such a good learning medium. You don't just pan and zoom and focus and pull the trigger. You practice that pan and zoom and focus a hundred times BEFORE you pull the trigger.

My wife thinks I'm crazy, but it won't be the first time she thought that.