Film School

MusingFilmmaker

New member
Hi everyone,

I am a new member, recently joined up a few days ago. I am planning on going into the filmmaking industry and am into every aspect of it. Lights, audio, cameras, screenwriting, the whole nine yards.

I am several years out of high school and trying to plan my next move before college, so I know what to do when I get there without wasting time and money.

I am currently planning on attending Full Sail down in Winter Park, Orlando, Florida. I have done a lot of research on the college and like what I see.

Is there anybody here who is attending or has attended Full Sail Film School?

I'd like any opinions and personal experiences if you are willing to share them.

Thanks!
MusingFilmmaker
 
V

Video Fx Universe

Guest
I've always wanted to go to film school, but I've heard many horror stories about people who spend the hundreds of thousands of dollars for the degree, then end up being bartenders or work at a fast food restaurant.

I just got a book entitled "What They Don't Teach You at Film School" by two directors. They talk about the first hand experience of the way film schools operate. It's not a dream, its being taken in by the system, of only 10% of first year students coming back allowed to film, with the other 90% who didn't impress the teachers having to actually give credits to hold a boom mic or operate a camera on a "better" student's film. In film, you really either make it or break it, with jobs far apart. Loooooong hours and low pay for the first 10-15 years in the job. I wrote a report on it, and I found that it's far better to be a videographer, using video and computers yourself doing what you love, being creative and making movies yourself than to be limited by what other suits want you to do.

So I'll get a steady job, shake some hands, get some contacts. Slowly but surely build up a reputation and spread my work around, to maybe someday make it but to always have something else to fall back on. I just don't see the point of spending $180,000 to get a degree that guarantees nothing but the capability. That's determined by talent, not by money you give someone.


just my 2 cents, but dont be put off by it
 

filmmakerone

New member
I was talking about this subject with a screenwriter friend recently and here are two very good points he made:

1. Film school is a great way to get real exposure to every aspect of film production. Especially if you go out on your own, it is good to have a basic knowledge of every step from concept to post through distribution. When my friend produced and directed his first movie, he was somewhat blindsided by the complexity of post-production, and told me had had he gone to film school, it would have helped him a lot.

2. The film industry is a lot about connections. His opinion is that if you go to film school, it is almost pointless not to go to one in California. Making connections is uber important, so get to LA and start making them while you are in school, both with fellow students and with pros.

Food for thought. He and I talk about some of these topics on my podcast. See the links below if you are interested.

tracy
 

gskowal

New member
i never went to film school, i got a BS in business. If i had a lot of money i would go to film school and learn all the details from experienced teachers plus get work with some nice equipment. You say that only 10% of the students make it after film schools , well probably the other 90% is not good enough to make it. You say that being a videographer is a better option, well how many videographers make it? In order to make it in this competative business you need to have strong desire to make it, read everything related to production, talk to other filmmakers no matter how experienced, you never know who knows who. Dont expect to be making big hollywood movies just because you finished film school. Only few ones got lucky.. Some of them started of as actors got some money and connections and then made their first few million dollar movie... the point is.. If you really want to make it, work for it. Read, work on as many projects as you can, network, make friends, shoot your own stuff and never give up. It may take you 5 or even 20 years to shoot your own first big budget movie..
 

esp4ever

New member
If you're planning on going to the one in Winter Park you might want to check out the Colorado Film School in Denver. They have a huge program with all the industry standard technology like Final Cut, Avid, ProTools, HVX200s, Super 35s, and all that stuff.
 

krillianred

New member
i majored in history. and i work in the industry. i started off as a PA and now i DP for indie projects and as a still photographer on unionized sets.

of course i want to work on my own projects, just like everyone else, it just takes time.
 
Top