MSE to Feature ROVER – The New Smartphone Camera Cage at IBC
Matthews Studio Equipment, known for innovative camera and lighting support for the entertainment industry will introduce the ROVER at IBC 2017 Booth 12-G71. The rapidly improving resolution and sensitivity of today’s smartphones is propelling them towards becoming a ubiquitous alternative for cinematography. That process took a step closer with the new ROVER smartphone camera cage.
“Whether you’re a YouTube creator, mobile journalist or aspiring cinematographer, the challenge is in how to get a smartphone to behave more like a professional style camera rig.” said Bill Hines, creator of ROVER. “We aimed for a minimalist design that is strong and comfortable yet versatile enough to work with most smartphones, lenses, microphones, lights and other accessories.”
The ROVER was conceived to provide a comfortable ergonomic position, so that hands and arms stay relaxed and the camera movement remains smooth and steady. Integrated dual handles connect to the unique Perfect Friction mounts that instantly adjust to any point of 360-degree rotation without additional tension adjustment or locks. This one-of-a-kind design also allows the handles to become a natural extension of the body; and they double as easel arms, perfect for low angle shooting, table-top viewing and editing.
Every detail of the Rover has been designed to provide a professional level of performance. To ensure flexibility, Rover was designed with 16 Points of Freedom which are industry standard ¼-20 screw mounts for customizing and accessorizing the rig for any situation. Combined with MSE’s MicroGrip hardware it can be mounted to rails, windows, trees, cars; almost anywhere. With Rover’s strength, comfort and versatility, the smartphone is now ready for an upgrade to professional.
The Rover’s Key Features include:
- Strong, lightweight all aluminum construction adapts to popular smartphones
- Open Rover Cage design accommodates many 3rd party lens systems
- 16 Points of Freedom ¼-20” mounting points
- Repositionable Cold Shoe mount adaptor for microphones and lights
- Center balanced convertible ¼-20” & 3/8 tripod mount
- Compatible with Matthews MicroGrip heads, accessories and car mounts
- Perfect Friction handle mounts adjust to any point of 360 rotation
- Repositionable and stackable dual textured handles
- Handles double as easel supports for low angle shooting, or table-top viewing and editing
When Rover becomes available the suggested MSRP: $299.
- Dimensions WxHxD: 13” x 6.65“ x 2.45” (33.02cm x 16.89cm x 6.22cm)
- Weight: 2.38lbs. (1079.5g)
- Maximum Device – Landscape WxHxD: 6.15” x 3.25“ x .3” (15.62cm x 8.25cm x .76cm)
- Mounting Points: (14) ¼-20” , (1) ¼-20” & 3/8” convertible tripod mount, (1) ¼-20” & Cold Shoe convertible center mount
For more information:
MSE is a 48-year-old manufacturer of industry-specialized hardware, camera and lighting support. Its equipment is being used on entertainment productions and in major studios in over 90 countries around the world. The company has been honored with two Presidential “E” Award for outstanding contributions to growing U.S. exports, strengthening the economy and creating American jobs. Matthews has also been honored by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences for Technical Achievement. MSE offices are located at their state-of-the-art manufacturing facility at 4520 West Valerio Street, Burbank, CA 91505. www.msegrip.com