Keying and compositing in Nuke-- free tutorial and template

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keying and compositing in Nuke-- free tutorial and template

i just published an article and tutorial about keying and compositing in The Foundry’s Nuke on ProVideo Coalition: http://www.provideocoalition.com/key...iting-in-nukex

I find Nuke to be much better at making delicate, seamless composites than FCPX or After Effects, for example, and their non-commercial version is free. My tutorial includes my NukeX keying and compositing template. Nuke has worked really well for me; I recommend that you try it out.

Don Starnes
    Director of Photography
    don@donstarnes.com
    donstarnes.com/dp/

Welcome to the Forums!
    Kim Edward Welch
    Publisher
    StudentFilmmakers Magazine
    Never Stop Learning - Never Stop Networking

www.studentfilmmakers.com

Comment

Hi Don, Ive been working on the forums and finding ways to improve them. I am thinking about starting a nuke section in the post production. Would you be interested in moderating that section?
      Kim Edward Welch
      Publisher

Comment

Kim,

I have a good amount of experience in a very small portion of Nuke: I wouldn't be a good moderator. Thank you for the kind request, but I must decline.

Don

Comment

Ok, I wonder if I should still start an individual forum for it. It is that widely used in post?
          Kim Edward Welch
          Publisher

Comment

Originally posted by Kim Welch View Post
            Ok, I wonder if I should still start an individual forum for it. It is that widely used in post?
            Nuke is mainly used in big post houses, but I think that it is gaining in popularity with indies, because The Foundry is giving the Non-Commercial version away for free (to increase market share). It is way more powerful than Adobe After Effects, in my opinion.

Comment

What makes it better in your opinion?
              Kim Edward Welch
              Publisher

Comment

Nuke requires the compositor to do some things manually that After Effects does automatically (for example, premultiplying the alpha channel with RGB channels). This gives the compositor more control. It's node-based UI enables very efficient and intuitive routing of picture data (which is sometimes difficult to get to or clumsily handled in layer-based UIs such as AE's). And, I believe that Nuke does pixel math better and faster than After Effects.

These attributes make the keyers in Nuke better, in my experience, at pulling convincing keys. I don't know much about Nuke's 3D features, but I'm told that AE is not truly 3D (but is, instead, some kind of 2.5D) and is less capable of working in 3D. I have seen that Nuke seems faster at rendering 3D views.

Nuke was designed to be maintained by engineers in big post houses; it is evolving into a more user-friendly software (which is why The Foundry is giving the Non-Commercial version away). It can have a steep learning curve for people who are used to After Effects and other more commercial software. It is a bit buggy for the same reason (some errors aren't handled well and some "knobs" don't seem to work for me), and some of the UI is inelegant and confusing so far. But The Foundry provides a lot of tutorial materials, and, once learned, Nuke is a lot of fun to use.
                Last edited by donstarnes; 07-12-2016, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Hi Don, Are you working on anything cool at the moment?
                  Kim Edward Welch
                  Publisher

Comment

Hello, Kim! I just shot a VR short, and am shooting some extra features for a Netflix series that I worked on last year (Thirteen Reasons Why, premiering March 31). Mostly, though, I'm seeking up-and-coming commercial directors who are making good spec commercials. I need to shoot some good spec spots to enhance my commercials reel. Know any?

Comment

I don't know anyone at this time but I was just searching and found this interesting 6 Mistakes to avoid particle. http://www.jaeminyi.com/6-mistakes-t...ec-commercial/ If I hear of anyone I will let you know.
                      Kim Edward Welch
                      Publisher

Comment

Great article! Thanks, Kim.

Comment

Working...
                        X